Thursday, May 20, 2010

How useful would an MBA be to my career path?



I am considering doing an MBA but have heard lots of mixed opinions on the value it will add to my career path in the long term. I have worked as a project manager with an insurance company for 10 years and like what I do. I enjoy the area I’m in but really want to progress faster than I have to date. I am currently at senior management level but not anywhere near director status. My ultimate ambition is to make it as a CEO and I feel that an MBA would help in this regard. Can you advise me?
This is a dilemma most people face when they are considering the option of doing an MBA and there are very mixed opinions on the value an MBA will add to your career.
Since its inception in the US in the Sixties, the MBA has become a truly international benchmark qualification in the business world and it is estimated there are more than 20,000 graduates in Europe alone each year. Many of these graduates believe an MBA is the key to unearthing executive success and salaries.
Others are not so convinced by the hype. They believe the MBA is over-rated, the workload arduous, the costs frightening and the repercussions on home and social life considerable.
Generally, MBAs are useful for three groups of people: those currently in middle or senior management who want to get to the next level; those currently working in a specific business function (such as accounting) who want to move into general management; and people who want to learn the skills that will enable them to start their own business. You would fall into the first group of people.
I believe education and continual learning is important but this is only one of the ingredients for career success. An MBA will certainly not harm your career aspirations but it won’t guarantee you achieve your goals. You must be certain the MBA is essential. I recommend that before you make any decisions you speak with management and seek their advice.
If you decide an MBA is essential, you must evaluate the financial and time investment involved in achieving this qualification. An MBA involves sacrificing other areas of your life including family and other commitments. I would recommend you consider these aspects before any final decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Plz must visit this web site http://mba-degree-usa.blogspot.com